I witness My first Mumbai monsoon: And I remember Words of Anita Desai; My first memory Of anything Related to Mumbai rains. During the rains: Hari’s stint in Mumbai, The apathy of being drenched Again and again; And remain indoor Inhaling soot Within Sri Krishna Bhojnalaya. During the rains: Mr. Panwallah, the watchmaker Who suffered bronchitis, But never complained. During the rains Jagu, whose family lived in slums, And water clogged their huts But still empathized with his employee. True Mumbai snob, And true Mumbai spirit. I reflect upon myself To see My greedy, dissatisfied self - One who runs and runs; Has everything He craved for But still craves for more. June 2016
Stunned, speechless, stoic Dry, stone-cold eyes The sightless eyes Looking into nothing, No rage, no loath, No affection nor aversion Neither mourning and nor humorous - Total impervious. And Facing the same, She sits, Sees herself, With a smile On the lips, And the face Serene. Untangled, immortal Eager to depart Towards infinity. - 25 th June, 2020
Comments